Shanghai Diary: Religion & Food – Halal Canteens in Chinese Universities; By Jayshree Borah

Entry 002/2018 

Shanghai Diary, a fortnightly series of first-person accounts of experiences in China. Penned by Jayshree Borah, a PhD Scholar at the School of International Relations and Public Administration, Shanghai International Studies University, Shanghai, these first-hand perspectives will capture the essence of living in China, her interactions with the local people and her thoughts on various Chinese events and trends. Her second entry is about halal food in Chinese canteens
Image courtesy: https://themuslimvibe.com
It is one of the rare sunny days in Shanghai. Some time I think it rains more in Shanghai than in Mawsynram (a village in Meghalaya state of Northeast India). I am still new to Shanghai and of course to the University where I have joined as a visiting scholar in October 2016. My new university has two campuses. I am in the city campus which is relatively small. As one of the professors said sardonically on my very first day at the university, “nijiunengcong xi men kandao dong da men le” (“You would be able to see the east gate from the west gate”).  Well, after living on the IIT Madras campus for one year, any campus would look smaller to me. On this sunny day, I finish my Chinese language class and head to the canteen...click here to read the full entry

Comments

Popular Posts